February 18, 2022
In 1971 John Lennon and the Beatles released “Imagine”.
Here are some of the lyrics:
- Imagine there’s no heaven
- It’s easy if you try
- No hell below us
- Above us only sky
- Imagine all the people living for today …
- Imagine there’s no countries
- It isn’t hard to do
- Nothing to kill or die for
- And no religion too
- Imagine all the people
- living life in peace,
- you You may say I’m a dreamer
- But I’m not the only one
- I hope some day you’ll join us
- And the world will be as one.
Sounds seductive, doesn’t it? Is this what we should be aiming for? Should we join him? Irreligion is gaining traction within western society, including Australia. It promises happiness and freedom of expression, but does it deliver? Is it good for society or our mental health, and can it provide any ultimate meaning?
Geoff’s presentation is available on YouTube.