September 23, 2021
Date(s) - 23/09/2021
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Have you ever heard people claim that the Bible is full of contradictions? I expect so, but is it true? Laurie Eddie, former head of SA Skeptics, suggested we look at “The Bible Handbook for free thinkers and inquiring Christians” by GW Foote and WP Ball.
This catalogues numerous alleged contradictions and problem passages in the Bible. The forward to the 10th edition states:
- OUR BIBLE HANDBOOK was first issued in 1888. It has now survived the storms of religious controversy and continues to carry devastation into the ranks of Christian bibliolators without receiving any adequate answer… the anti-Christian controversialist “has only to open our Handbook, and in five minutes he will be able to advance more arguments against the Bible than his opponent will be able to answer in a lifetime”.
- Stephen White will assess some of these alleged contradictions and whether the claim in the forward is true. In addition, he will address the following issues:
- What do we mean if we claim that the Bible is inspired?
- How should we respond to alleged contradictions or problematic passages in the Bible?
- How should we respond when people claim that the Bible is rubbish and full of contradictions?
Stephen White has had a career as a physicist and is now retired. He has been a very supportive member of the Reasonable Faith Adelaide committee for a number of years.